As I peruse the list of Oscar nominations this year, it strikes me that we here at LTBM haven’t reviewed most of what the Academy believes are the cream of the crop this past year. I blame this entirely on my fellow writers 😉
Be that as it may, there were a few Oscar nominees that we reviewed from a Christian perspective this year. Here they are!
- Just one of these films made it to LTBM this year, that was Logan’s review of Captain Phillips.
Best Animated Feature Film
- Gene looks at how Christians are called to face their trials and hardships in his review of Frozen.
- Elliott takes a brief look at the importance of family in his review of Despicable Me 2.
- Eric tackles violence and vengeance in his review of Prisoners.
- Derek looked at the materialism inherent in the timeless tale, The Great Gatsby.
Makeup & Hairstyling
- Tres recollected some childhood memories in his review of The Lone Ranger.
Music, original score
- Elliott again with the good choice of review Oscar nominee, Saving Mr. Banks.
- Eric checks out the impact of fulfilled prophecy in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.
- In our most read review to date, Gene examines facing our inner demons in his review of Iron Man 3.
There was just one noticeable snub from the Oscars this year that we took a Christian perspective on. That was Gene’s review of Lee Daniels’ The Butler.
In the spirit of sharing, feel free to comment below and link to any reviews you published on your blog this year that were also nominated for an Oscar. We appreciate you reading our stuff, and we’d love to read your opinions on films as well!